Saturday, May 11, 2013

New Hobbie?

Last year when I was driving to West Virginia for the umpteenth time in pursuit of one hobby (black and white stripes on the college pigskin field), I really started considering a new hobby, piloting.

I never did the math on how much it would actually cost, but I'm sure it isn't cost effective, but to me it was more about being time effective. I was driving solo to a lot of these games and had to get up before dawn or travel the night before to reach the field at a decent time (and be well rested). Plus, let's be honest, I thought it would be fun and I'd find excuses to use it in other endeavors (like this summer alone we have 3 trips to the Land Between the Lakes, and that 3+ hour trip is just long enough to make me wonder how much shorter it would be to fly).

So, when a chance to try a Discovery Flight was available on Groupon, I decided I wanted to try. So j and I took a flight in a Piper Warrior down the Ohio River...

He let me do the steering more most of the flight, he controlled the important things like the throttle, gas mixture, the pedals... 

Here's a look down the Ohio River towards downtown from the NE 

Flying by downtown 

The Falls of the Ohio

The Locks

The water tower (more impressive from the ground).

I told j after the flight that I wanted one (a plane/license). So it's not a new hobby yet, but I do admit I am considering it...

No comments: