Monday, February 25, 2008

Random thoughts from a slacker blogger

· Last week t was in town and we proceeded to play sports everyday. I came to these conclusions:

  1. I would still rather play sports than workout for my exercise.
  2. I’m out of shape and should workout because after four days of ice skating, basketball, throwing football, and volleyball; I was hurting for days.
  3. There is a recovery period after t leaves in which “your mom/sister” jokes persist for about 3 days.
  4. I miss having friends that will play sports/talk sports/talk politics with until the wee hours of the night, but that’s my own fault for not making new friends.

· Went to Chicago this past weekend to see my nephew (pictures to follow once I go home) and thought about the following:

  1. It’s cold as (fill in favorite pun/expletive here), but I still prefer it to Philly.
  2. The fact that stores that are based on encased meats (www.hotdougs.com) exist is amazing, and I tip my hat to them.
  3. Saw some DI NCAA men’s volleyball as Lewis University hosted a tournament that had Loyola vs UCSD and Lewis vs Cal Baptist. Apparently right side is now where you put your best skilled/biggest hitter. Other than one MB for Loyola and a Cameroon player for Baptist, the RS hitters were the most talented player on the teams. Thankfully, Lewis had a very impressive 5’10” OH, so there is still a chance for me and my progeny.
  4. Speaking of progeny, j and I still am not having kids for a while. Though I think seeing the nephews makes it harder to wait, it doesn’t have that temporary fix effect anymore.
  5. The Shedd aquarium is still pretty cool; but seriously, who really wants to listen to the guy babble about dolphins and who wants to see the dolphins do a bunch of tricks? (I admit to having issues with animals in captivity, but these dolphins are really cool)

· Obviously being a big Louisville fan, I’m happy with the way they have been winning (though not always happy about how, though that’s a good problem to have). Looking at the teams out there right now, there is a lot a parity in the top of college basketball right now. I think that healthy UNC, Kansas, and UCLA are the best (my own prejudice rules out Memphis); but there are 15 teams out there that I wouldn’t be surprised if they went the distance. I think Louisville is one of those teams, but my own suspicion is that we will get shot out of the tournament by a Butler/Duke-like team with no inside game but can get hot from the outside (see the Seton Hall recap).

· I hope to blog with more regularity in the upcoming weeks.

2 comments:

housemdjr said...

'how' is Louisville winning?

Nate Foster said...

Hey D, just found your blog, and the wife's blog.

Don't worry: I can keep the mom/sister jokes going strong.

Also, the offer of a workout partner stands. It'd be good to do some vb-specific stuff. Otherwise I will slip back into running (hurting my already piss-poor vertical.)